Reply statement by the Penang State Government to media article quoting the Minister of Natural Resources and Environment YB Dato’ Sri Dr Haji Wan Junaidi bin Tuanku Jaafar
Reply statement by the Penang State Government to media article quoting the Minister of Natural Resources and Environment YB Dato’ Sri Dr Haji Wan Junaidi bin Tuanku Jaafar, entitled “Get green light before starting reclamation works, minister tells Penang”
- The Penang State Government reiterates its unreserved full commitment to cooperate with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and all agencies under its charge (ie. Department of Environment (DOE), Drainage and Irrigation Department, National Hydraulic Research Institute Malaysia and Jabatan Taman Laut Malaysia) to ensure that all requirements and regulations in relation to the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the Penang South Reclamation (PSR) project are fully complied with at all times.
- The above was highlighted to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and the minister in charge, in a media statement dated 22 December 2016: http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2016/12/22/penang-asks-minister-what-eia-laws-were-broken-pray-tell/ and in subsequent media statement dated 9 June 2017: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/penang-south-reclamation-works-to-start-only-with-approval-exco-says
- Concurrently, the State Government will also extend its full cooperation to all agencies under the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment’s, ordered by the Minister of Natural Resources and Environment to conduct investigations into claims that reclamation works have already started offshore, as alleged by the Penang Fishermen Association.
- As of to-date, no reclamation works has started in relation to the PSR Project.
- In compliance with the EIA guidelines under the provisions of Section 34A (2c) of the Environmental Quality Act 1974 and the Environmental Quality (Prescribed Activities) (Environmental Impact Assessment) Order 2015, a Public Display of the EIA Report was carried out between 24 May – 23 June 2017 at 12 locations in KL, Putrajaya and Penang.
- The State Government is in the midst of preparing feedback to the DOE on all the comments submitted by the various agencies and departments during a DOE Technical Review Committee meeting on 15 June 2017 for the PSR EIA Report.
- It is to be emphasised again that the Penang State Government will abide by all laws, rules and regulations in its application to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment for EIA approval of the PSR Project.
- We will not start the reclamation project until the EIA is approved and until the National Physical Planning Council approves it.